Monday, October 12, 2009

Master Bath Improvements

Call it nesting or call it whatever you want, but in the past few weeks, I've been really motivated to get some small projects done around the house. Well, at least they were supposed to be small projects...

The caulk in our master tub/shower was nasty! I vividly remember looking at our home for the first time and thinking how gross it looked. It obviously wasn't a deal breaker, but I had finally had enough. I looked up some "How to" videos online and the project looked simple enough: remove the old caulk, make sure the surface was clean, and apply the new caulk. I figured I could remove the old caulk in the afternoon and Jeff could re-caulk it that evening.

Instead, it took hours to just get the old caulk removed. I didn't take into account that (1) I was 7.5 months pregnant and it would be quite difficult to lean over the tub and remove the caulk and (2) there was probably 20 years and multiple layers worth of caulk that needed to be removed. It took us two weeks to take enough time to get it all removed. We finally re-caulked last weekend and it looks so much better! I get happy every time I look in our tub!

A sampling of before and after

In the process of removing the caulk, Jeff took off the doors so there would be more room to work and we discussed how we didn't even like the old, nasty doors. So we decided to remove them completely. Therefore, we had to buy and install a shower curtain rod. Since we had been hanging our towels on the shower door and there wasn't another towel rack in the bathroom, we had to buy and hang one of those too. It turned out to be a much more involved project than we expected, but we are so happy with the results!

This picture that I took before we moved in is the only "before" picture I have of the shower doors.


After

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow. The tub looks so much better. I hate when things look dirty and there's nothing you can do to clean them. My sister just removed the doors off of their shower too. It will be a lot easier to give the kids baths in the doorless tub. And it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice improvement! Yes,caulking projects are so much work, but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay you fixed it! Doing the work isnt always fun but at least you're improving something that you OWN :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good home improvement! It looks like much more of an intense job than we did! I like the finished product! Hey-- you should watch out for my brother in your mission!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just recaulked our tub this week, too. We try to do it once a year...keeps my sanity in check. =)

    I LOVE what you've done with the place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go! You are a woman after my own heart! I love do-it-yourself projects. But why do we always do them when we're pregnant. Go figure?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! Even seemingly small projects seem to grow and grow sometimes, but in this case at least the results are worth it. I'm all for a shower curtain--it's the only shower "wall" that you can throw in the washing machine. =)

    ReplyDelete