Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Earthquake

There was an earthquake about an hour and half ago! It was a 5.8 and the epicenter was about 3o miles from us. We live in an old apartment building, so all the windows were shaking in their frames and it was really loud. Thankfully, Ellen slept through the whole thing :) My taller Willow Tree statues fell over--one fell off the piano and the other one knocked down a frame on our book shelf. I felt a small aftershock about 10 minutes later. I felt some smaller earthquakes on my mission in Taiwan, but this was so much more intense. I just froze like I didn't know what to do. Jeff and I talked on the phone about 15 minutes later. Our cell phones didn't work for 30 minutes--I'm so glad we have a land line! I'm grateful that we are safe!

4 comments:

  1. I heard about the earthquake on the news this afternoon and immediately thought of you. I'm glad you are all okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I hadn't heard about the earthquake. I'm glad it wasn't too serious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also thought of you right away and was thankful to hear in the news that buildings (even old ones :-) were secure and no major damage was done. Thats funny that Ellen slept right through it. Kind of reminds me of the Spring Break Quake in Portland? :-) How big was that one? Anyway- glad to know everyone in your family and even your Willow Tree statues are safe!!!!!! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah, Jenn! I didn't realize you lived so close! I heard about the earthquakes and I'm glad you all are OK. I totally know the freeze-fear reaction. That happened to me the other day when a mini twister flew right by my house. I just stood there with Gabe watching the crazy winds blow waiting for my roof to come flying off. Luckily it didn't and we were safe! I'm glad you are too!

    ReplyDelete