The next home repair project to report is replacing the garbage disposal. On the inspection of our home, it mentioned that one of the blades in the garbage disposal was broken. Therefore, we figured we would have to do something about it eventually. However, the first time I tried to use it, I realized it didn't work at all. That was not ok.
A friend of mine had replaced her garbage disposal by herself while taking care of two kids, so Jeff and I figured we could do it too. We bought a nice one from Lowe's and got ready to put it in after Ellen went to bed. (Once again, we didn't go through our home warranty because it probably would have replaced it with a similar weak-sauce garbage disposal and we wanted a good disposal.)
We got all set up and realized that the disposal does not include a power cord (same experience that my friend had...obviously, they need to make this more apparent for us first-timers). So Jeff went back to the store to get one. We spent about an hour getting the old one off. The instructions said that once we turned a certain part, the old disposal would fall off. We turned it and nothing happened. After trying lots of other things, we both sat down and started pulling on it. It slowly started to loosen and then it came off all the sudden--spewing old, rancid, food all over us. SO GROSS! It stunk too! Once we got that out into the garbage and cleaned up the area, putting in the new one wasn't too hard. Especially because Jeff did all the hard, heavy parts and I read off the instructions to him. :)
Here's Jeff with the old, gross, weak-sauce disposal and old food all over the floor
where I had been sitting. :)
A friend of mine had replaced her garbage disposal by herself while taking care of two kids, so Jeff and I figured we could do it too. We bought a nice one from Lowe's and got ready to put it in after Ellen went to bed. (Once again, we didn't go through our home warranty because it probably would have replaced it with a similar weak-sauce garbage disposal and we wanted a good disposal.)
We got all set up and realized that the disposal does not include a power cord (same experience that my friend had...obviously, they need to make this more apparent for us first-timers). So Jeff went back to the store to get one. We spent about an hour getting the old one off. The instructions said that once we turned a certain part, the old disposal would fall off. We turned it and nothing happened. After trying lots of other things, we both sat down and started pulling on it. It slowly started to loosen and then it came off all the sudden--spewing old, rancid, food all over us. SO GROSS! It stunk too! Once we got that out into the garbage and cleaned up the area, putting in the new one wasn't too hard. Especially because Jeff did all the hard, heavy parts and I read off the instructions to him. :)
Here's Jeff with the old, gross, weak-sauce disposal and old food all over the floor
where I had been sitting. :)
We had the water heater replaced by our home warranty last week and Jeff used his new ladder (an essential of home ownership, he says) to repair some ducts in the attic. We also put a toilet paper holder in our bathroom...because there wasn't one in there when we moved in... Oh and Jeff fixed Ellen's bath so it dispenses something besides the hottest water, which is where it was stuck before.
I think that's most of our projects so far. There are lots of other things we would like to do, but I'm going to try and get all the boxes emptied before we embark on any non-essential projects.
Moral of the story: When you buy a house, make sure you have some money left over. There will be immediate unexpected expenses.
(A wise friend of mine told me that about a year ago, and boy, she was right.)
Moral of the story: When you buy a house, make sure you have some money left over. There will be immediate unexpected expenses.
(A wise friend of mine told me that about a year ago, and boy, she was right.)

It definitely looks like your home is doing a fine job at welcoming you guys in! I'm glad for the most part it is going smoothly. It's great to be able to do a lot of that stuff by yourselves. Good luck with all else in store!
ReplyDeleteOh wow. You guys have had a lot going on. The disposal spewing nasty food out sounds disgusting! I'm impressed by all that you guys have done by yourselves. Over the past 4.5 years we have owned two houses and haven't had NEARLY the work you guys have already had. I hope you've got all the kinks out and you can just enjoy your new place!
ReplyDeleteGood job you hard workers! Hope it all turns out the way you want it to and you enjoy many memories there!
ReplyDeleteY'all are quite the fixer upers. Good job. Great way to work together. Are you loving the area and the house still?
ReplyDeleteWell done! Sometimes (like when I hear these stories), I'm glad we rent :) Glad things are working out for you. The place looks great!
ReplyDeleteWow! I am so glad you guys know what to do! Luckily we didn't have any problems, otherwise we would have been REALLY in trouble! We are definitely not home improvement people!
ReplyDeleteOh yuck!!! We just bought our first house today (well signed the papers--the key is coming) and we know it's a fixer upper. However, I'm sure once we do the initial stuff we know has to be done, there will be plenty more that pops up. I will admit, that is one aspect of owning a house I am NOT looking forward to...
ReplyDelete