We didn't have to wait long after moving in before we got to discover the joys of being homeowners. We moved in Saturday afternoon and then on Sunday afternoon, we noticed that the carpet by the toilet and just outside the bathroom downstairs was soaking wet. :( We figured the toilet was leaking. We had a plumber come that evening. After a little investigation, he informed us the toilet was fine, but we had a slab leak. He explained that this was really a worst case scenario.
Basically, we have pipes running through our cement slab foundation and one of them was leaking. It is an expensive fix because he would have to locate exactly which pipe had a leak, seal it off, and re-route that pipe line up through our walls and ceiling. He suggested seeing if the HOA or our warranty would fix it.
We spent Monday researching our options, contacting the seller to see if they had any knowledge of it, etc. After asking a lot of questions and seeking every possible other option, it seems it was just an unfortunate coincidence that it happened right after we moved in and that we would need to pay for the repair. The plumber spent 6 hours here Tuesday doing the repair. At the end of it, we had 6 holes in our walls and ceiling and lots of wet carpet and wet carpet pad. I thought I took a picture of it all, but I guess I just took some close ups.
Basically, we have pipes running through our cement slab foundation and one of them was leaking. It is an expensive fix because he would have to locate exactly which pipe had a leak, seal it off, and re-route that pipe line up through our walls and ceiling. He suggested seeing if the HOA or our warranty would fix it.
We spent Monday researching our options, contacting the seller to see if they had any knowledge of it, etc. After asking a lot of questions and seeking every possible other option, it seems it was just an unfortunate coincidence that it happened right after we moved in and that we would need to pay for the repair. The plumber spent 6 hours here Tuesday doing the repair. At the end of it, we had 6 holes in our walls and ceiling and lots of wet carpet and wet carpet pad. I thought I took a picture of it all, but I guess I just took some close ups.
We let everything dry for a few days (meaning we couldn't use the eating area at all) before we put down new carpet pad and stretched the carpet back into place. It looks pretty good considering how experienced we are. We are planning to eventually take out all that carpet anyway. As soon as we get our $8000 tax credit, we're going to put down a hard surface through the kitchen, eating area, and bathroom, so we considered this kind of a temporary fix.
Thankfully, we have a friend from Tustin who is a general contractor. He was so nice and came out to fix our holes with new drywall and texturing. Now all we have to do is paint them this weekend and we should be good to go. Whew!







Oh no! I'm glad you were able to get it all taken care of so quickly.
ReplyDeleteWhoever thinks to put carpet in the eating area needs to rethink things anyway. It's good it was something you were going to replace but it sounds like a pain! Way to learn some new things I guess... :)
ReplyDeleteHome repairs are fun :). Keith and i are replacing all the downstairs flooring this year. And next year replace the upstairs.
ReplyDeleteThat is unfortunate about your pipe. We had a pipe incident that I wrote about on my blog. It was pretty funny now that I look back at it. Take care abd congrats on home ownership!