Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Our Remodeled Home

We had some remodeling done while were in Oregon for Christmas. It was so nice not to have to live in a construction zone while it was being done, but to just come home to a brand new house!

I've put together a series of before and after pictures. Before is on the left; after is on the right.
Some of the before pictures are from before we moved in. The after pictures were taken with in an hour of getting home from the airport.

We had new carpet put in the whole house and new tile downstairs. There are new baseboards, door casings, and crown molding downstairs...
(The Family Room--view from the kitchen)


...added the light fixture in the corner...
(The Family Room--view from the front door)


...and removed that ugly fireplace! It took up so much space, Ellen had bumped her head on the brick more than once, and we're never going to have a fire in it (hello, it's Southern California!), so we were happy when our contractor said we could easily just rip it out completely! We don't miss it one bit!


Kitchen Lighting--goodbye florescent lights!


New tile in the kitchen and eating area, replacing linoleum and carpet.


Since we removed the fireplace downstairs, we were able to get rid of the chimney which took up much of the hallway upstairs. The space we gained from this change is one of my favorite improvements.

The Upstairs--looking toward the master bedroom


The Upstairs--looking away from the master bedroom


We LOVE all the improvements and seriously feel like we have a brand new home.

14 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! It all looks beautiful. Taking the fireplace out was a great choice. I love how it opens up the hall. I love the neutral paint and the white molding (we have that too... so of course I'm a fan :-)). That was so nice that you were able to have it all done while you were out of town. I bet it was so fun to come home to your new place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo! I really love all your changes! LOVE the molding and the new lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a difference taking away that fireplace made! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! It looks awesome! How nice to come home to all of that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is amazing! The best part is that you didn't have to do any of it!!!! DIY projects get so tiring and take sooooo long. It is nice to have it all done at once. Congrats! I am glad you are happy with your home, that is a BIG plus in a mommys life !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenn, that looks AWESOME! I love how some simple things make such a big difference. We just repainted the walls and replaced baseboards in half our house and I LOVE it. The second half will eventually be done, too. Who was your contractor? We have a bathroom that needs some serious help (on a budget).

    Congrats on a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so good! I love the floor and the lights in the kitchen. What a nice way to return home from a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really does look so much better (and we thought it looked great to begin with :) Congrats on the improvements!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like a brand new home too! Congrats, I'm sure it feels good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! IT looks sooooooo great! I love all the space you got by getting rid of that fireplace! Good choice. Your lighting looks awesome, isn't it wonderful to have good lights everywhere!? I'm so jealous of your crown molding, some day.......Good job on everything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, this is how behind I am on reading blogs. :( But your house looks AWESOME, and how nice to have it all done while you were away!

    ReplyDelete